Monitoring FreeRADIUS using Icinga (Nagios clon)

Michael Schwartzkopff ms at sys4.de
Mon Oct 21 20:50:06 CEST 2013

Am Montag, 21. Oktober 2013, 14:44:11 schrieben Sie:
> Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:
> > BTW: Any volunteers to (help me to) implement a new SNMP subagent for
> > FreeRADIUS?
>
>   Net-snmp used to have "pass" and "pass-persist" subagents.  It appears
> to be poorly documented now.

My idea is to write a stand alone SNMP subagent that uses the AgentX interface
of the master agent.

>   The idea would be for the SNMP daemon to contact FreeRADIUS on a TCP
> port.  FreeRADIUS would then be able to listen for SNMP queries, and
> return SNMP answers.

Perhaps yes. But perhaps it is also possible to implement the whole logic into
the agent that just requests the performance data from FreeRADIUS.

>   This is best to do in 3.0.  See proto_dhcp for examples of adding a
> new protocol.

No new protocol. Just use FR's existing hooks to gather performance data.

The master agent (net-snmp) speaks SNMP and the subagent has the
instrumentation to get the data from FR. net-snmp offers a nice frame to
implement subagents.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Michael Schwartzkopff

--