Freeradius-Users Digest, Vol 102, Issue 100

Rui Ribeiro ruyrybeyro at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 20:54:23 CET 2013

On 28 October 2013 18:40, <freeradius-users-request at lists.freeradius.org>wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 12:02:32 -0200
> From: Roberto Carna <robertocarna36 at gmail.com>
>         <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org>
> Subject: Freeradus service goes down
>
> Dear, I have a Freeradius server running OK, authenticating against an
> AD. The Debian package is 2.1.12+dfsg-1.2 version.
>
> The problem is that the service goes down 2 o 3 times a week, and I
> can't know tha cause. I see the /var/log/freeradius/radisu.log but
> there is nothing important I think.
>
> When I start the service in this way "service freeradius start", today
> the service didn't start, and I have started it with "freeradius -X"
> and it runs OK now.
>
> How can I find the origin of the problem the service goes up frequently???
>
> Do you recommend to me start the service with "service freeradius
> start" or "freeradius -X"???
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Roberto
>

> ------------------------------

Hi Roberto,

We also are authenticating against an AD, and once in a month we have your
problem. At the moment we haven't found the cause, nor any logs.
Furthermore, what I can tell you is that local authentications starting
failing, but users in roaming continue to authenticate, which in itself
suggests is some problem in the LDAP part.

The start should not work because in reality in our case the service does
not go down, only stops authenticating. So what I do here is to run a
script authenticating a local AD user with PEAP-MSCHAP-v2, and once that
fails, I stop and start the service (no restart either, as the debian
scripts have a peculiarity that if freeradius is down, restart gives an
error and does nothing).

Regards