Fwd: Re: smbencrypt calculates false hash for German umlauts and other non-ASCII letters

Matthias Nagel matthias.h.nagel at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 19:14:25 CEST 2013

Sorry, my mail program tricked me and used the wrong destination address.

Betreff: Re: smbencrypt calculates false hash for German umlauts and	other non-ASCII letters
Datum: Samstag 07 September 2013, 19:13:17
Von: Matthias Nagel <matthias.h.nagel at gmail.com>
An: Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>

Hello everybody,

as it was me who came up with the issue.

The password must be encoded as UTF-16 in little endian and then the MD4 is calculated.

For example: Assume one uses "smbencrypt" from command line interface in order to calculate the hash. The linux console is set up to use "en-US.utf8". Then, at first a character encoding into UTF-16 little endian is necessary, and in a second step the MD4 hash can be calculated.

Matthias

Am Samstag 07 September 2013, 12:10:38 schrieben Sie:
> Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
> > Can't we assume src as UTF8 for NAI (RFC4282)?
>
>   Ha, ha, ha, ha  <cough>.  4282 is wrong.  And no one implements any of it.
>
>   The MS-CHAP RFCs are silent on the subject of character encoding.  The
> unofficial word from Microsoft is "MS-CHAP uses the local encoding".
>
>   Ok... what's that?
>
>   <hysterical laughter>  No one knows.  And there's no way to find out.
>
>   And UTF-8 uses up to 5 octets for a character.  MS-CHAP requires no
> more than 2.
>
>   There is *no* way to do the right thing.  You can get close.
> Sometimes.  Maybe.  But doing the right thing always?  Impossible.
>
>   Alan DeKok.
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html
Matthias Nagel