[ANN] Version 3.0.0-rc1

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Mon Sep 9 15:24:28 CEST 2013

Stefan Winter wrote:
> The idea is that make install is not supposed to touch my production
> config in any way. I don't want it to generously add directories without
> me knowing.

  Honestly, the simplest might be to edit Make.inc, at the top where it
defines raddbdir and modconfdir:

ifeq "$(raddbdir)" ""
raddbdir	= ${sysconfdir}/raddb
modconfdir	= ${sysconfdir}/raddb/mods-config
endif

  Then, do:

$ ./configure ...
$ make
$ make -Draddbdir=/tmp/garbage install

  All of the raddbdir stuff will get installed to the /tmp/garbage
directory.  The binaries will be built with the correct paths, and
installed in the correct locations.

> It was easy to tell it to back off earlier (even easier in v2 - just mv
> source/raddb/ out of the way), but now for some reason the old v3-style
> mechanism doesn't work any more.

  Well... the build system has changed *completely*.

> I guess I could create the mods-config/ dir in my production config dir
> and it would make the symptom go away.
>
> I still found it worth reporting that some messing-around with the
> config dir is going on/attempted even when the source dir is told not to
> do that.

  Because the rules for "install to config dir" are scattered through
the source, and not all in raddb.  So when you nuke raddb, you don't
delete all of the rules.

> It's not nice if one module makes assumptions about a part of the
> directory structure it doesn't control. Nothing stops me from deploying
> a raddb with the configs lying in
> "raddb/modules-configuration-information/ and it would be very undue if
> the stock build process bails out on failure then during a subsequent
> installation.

  Well... if you want to create a non-standard configuration, it's up to
you to do the work.

  The default install process assumes that the installation is... a
default one.  The customization is done via the paths at the top of the
Make.inc file.  If you want to change *internal* paths, then all bets
are off.  My only answer is "Good luck!"