Freeradius 2.1.12 Second LDAP Server

Beliars Fire beliarsfire at outlook.com
Fri Sep 13 10:30:04 CEST 2013

Hi Alan,

i would like to imagine a second LDAP Server for a Failover. I want to implent my Windows LDAP Server for Authentification via WLAN. The login on LDAP1 works, but when i`m blocking the first LDAP1 Server with the Iptable-Command, the connection to the Failover Server, LDAP2, couldn`t etablished.

I`m following this Tutorial: *Click*
-> I`m worked to this Tutorial Step-by-Step. On the last two steps, i`m configured Freeradius to use ntlm_auth > This was obviousy wrong, cause i want to implement LDAP-Severs. But this Configuration still works with one LDAP Server without a second Failover Server. (At least, the login via WLAN with LDAP Authentification data works.).

This are the files, which i`d edit:

/etc/freeradius/users

DEFAULT  Auth-Type = ntlm_auth # > Change it to LDAP, right?

/etc/freeradius/radiusconf
...          # Did i need these Settings in this Version?
    redundant {
      ldap1
      ldap2
      handled

/etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/inner-tunnel
authenticate {
 ntlm_auth # Change it to LDAP, right?

I`m editing this file, after your Post:

/etc/freeradius/users

DEFAULT  Auth-Type = ldap

After changing, I`m getting this Error:
/etc/freeradius/users[1]: Parse error (check) for entry DEFAULT: Unknown value ldap for attribute Auth-Type

So, ldap isn`t possible as Auth-Type? Which one i`must using?

/etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/inner-tunnel
authenticate {
 ldap

Thanks for Help! I´m working with Linux since 4 weeks, so its hard to be aware of all functions of Freeradius and Linux.