pap always returns noop for windows dialup authentication [solved]

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Sep 24 21:33:08 CEST 2013

paul trader wrote:
> hi alan - well, i did both.  at first the $INCLUDE was put at the bottom
> of the users file, and there was 1 entry in the included file, at line 1.

  Why do you have a $INCLUDE?  You did NOT mention it in your other posts.

  The help here presumes that you accurately describe what you're doing.
 If you're not doing that, the help will be unhelpful.

> i removed the $INCLUDE statement and put the username/password entry
> directly in the users file, but it was at the bottom where the $INCLUDE
> was removed from.

  So when you were told to put the entry on line 1, you instead put it
on the bottom of the file?

>  either way the linux clients could authenticate but not
> the windows ones.  only after i tried moving the entry directly under the
> 'steve' example did it start working, so i moved the $INCLUDE statement
> there too.

  That makes absolutely no sense.

  Given your other mis-statments, I think you're wrong here, too.  When
you follow the documentation and instructions here, it WILL WORK.  Doing
random other things will make it NOT WORK.

  I have no idea what you're doing, or what you changed to make it work.
 And likely neither do you.