EAP-PEAP GTC vs MSCHAPv2

Don petaluma007 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 23:34:50 CEST 2013

Alan,

I finally made EAP-GTC using ntlm_auth to work. Basically my initial
configuration inside "gtc" sub-section of raddb/eap.conf was correct and
modifying raddb/modules/ntlm_auth from "%{mschap:User-Name}" to
"%{User-Name}" was also correct. I can also use
%{%{mschap:User-Name}:-%{User-Name}} that is also working fine and won't
break mschap testing thru radtest.

The problem lies somewhere else, in this case something inside file
raddb/users where the following line was added when I configured freeRadius
with EAP-MSCHAPv2 and testing it with radtest:
DEFAULT      Auth-Type := ntlm_auth

Once I removed that line from raddb/users, EAP-GTC with ntlm_auth works.
So, the "gtc" sub-section inside raddb/eap.conf is as follow:

gtc {
    challenge = "Password: "
    auth_type = ntlm_auth
}

and raddb/modules/ntlm_auth content:

exec ntlm_auth {
    wait yes
    program = "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth --request-nt-key  --domain=MYDOMAIN
 --username=%{%{mschap:User-Name}:-%{User-Name}}
 --password=%{User-Password}
}

Again, thank you for all the supports.

Regards,