Accounting and octets - a silly one!

Chris Knipe savage at savage.za.org
Thu Apr 3 16:22:11 CEST 2014

Hi Alan,

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:
> Chris Knipe wrote:
>> Generally speaking, is acct-input-octets / acct-output-octets
>> referenced in bits, or bytes?
>
>   http://freeradius.org/rfc/attributes.html
>
>   Click on the name of the attribute to see its' definition.

This is actually why I'm asking.  The RFC doesn't say (from what I can
see) whether a Octet is bits or bytes :-)

<snip>

5.3.  Acct-Input-Octets

   Description

      This attribute indicates how many octets have been received from
      the port over the course of this service being provided, and can
      only be present in Accounting-Request records where the Acct-
      Status-Type is set to Stop.

   A summary of the Acct-Input-Octets attribute format is shown below.
   The fields are transmitted from left to right.
</snip>

Anyways - thank you all for clearing it up.  I never knew about the
patent thing, it's very interesting to find that bit out!

--

Regards,
Chris Knipe