Trusted CA, Signed Certs and Verification

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Fri Apr 4 17:03:01 CEST 2014

If I understand you're doing EAP-TLS on a wirelss AP, right?

I haven't followed this thread carefully so perhaps I misunderstand
what's going on, but how would a wireless client verify a certificate
*before* it actually has a connection to the network where it *could*
verify the certificate?

Is there some mechanism for the AP to go out and pass back and forth
certificate verification steps with a public CA prior to the client
actually being accepted into the network? [I'm not aware of any way
this could happen, but I'm certainly no guru here.]

---
In our case:

We use self signed certs from our own CA.

We add the ca.crt to each client and "manage" the initial
connection to the wireless network.

As part of that process for W7 clients, we set the following two

These are under the SSID/Network properties in Windows.
--
Under trusted root certification authorities, make sure that ONLY the correct radius server is checked and all others are UNCHECKED.
Finally: Do not prompt user to authorize new servers or trusted certification: CHECKED

This should mean that the wireless client should only try to negotiate
with the already trusted Radius server using the already accepted CA
signed certificates. If a "rogue" AP comes up with a previously
unknown CA signed certificate [even an otherwise "trusted one], the
Wireless client will NOT prompt to accept this new unknown connection
and will silently fail. [Which is the proper order of things, IMO]

You only want the wireless client to negotiate with certificates
signed by a SINGLE *PRESELECTED* CA - not just any CA you happen to
trust [unless you have total control over all signing for that CA.]
Because if that CA can/will sign certificates for others, then your
wireless client will accept their certs too. [Again, that's at least
how I understand it - which might be wrong.]

So, IMO, using one of the trusted CA's is really not a requirement for
good security. Self CA signed certificates do just fine in this closed
environment.

Perhaps that's not helpful [I don't think it strictly addresses your
underlying question] but that's the way we do it ... and from all I
can tell, it's as or more secure than using a publicly trusted CA to
sign your certificates.

[I also have CRL's working properly, though I haven't gotten around to
adding it to the Wiki - if that's something you need, I'd be glad to
slap up the text I have so you can review it. It's been tested and
works properly in our environment.]

HTH

-Greg

SF> On windows machines we get a prompt saying that "Windows Cannot Verify the server's identity".
SF> On iOS when you view the certificate it says: "Not Verified"

SF> This is confusing because we use a global CA Root (Digicert) that
SF> *is* already installed on all devices.

SF> Is the prompt normal even when using a Global CA Root that is installed on devices?

SF> Sam Fakhreddine
SF> p 780-395-5455

Gregory Sloop, Principal: Sloop Network & Computer Consulting
Voice: 503.251.0452 x82
EMail: gregs at sloop.net
http://www.sloop.net
---