Freeradius-Users Digest, Vol 108, Issue 20

Eugene Grosbein fr at grosbein.net
Fri Apr 4 17:06:05 CEST 2014

On 04.04.2014 19:59, Rui Ribeiro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First you´d better upgrade to 2.2.4; so many things have improved.

I've tried 2.2.4 when it was released. It coredumps all the way with dhcp
and rlm_perl while using many hundreds of threads, 2.2.0 is much more stable
in our setup and 2.2.4 is unusable.

> We are serving around 2500 wifi customers, and the whole process of authentication takes less than 20 ms,
> and we do use a MySQL database.

We use MS SQL database and I need perl DBI to keep persistent pool of database connections.

> I advise to avoid external perl routines as possible, and have a look at unlang;
> are you sure you are also measuring correctly things?

There is no place to make mistake: tcpdump shows precise timestamps noting
moment of request arrival. And then syslogd marks a moment then perl code starts:
there is 6 seconds delay in between.

Do you have DHCP Relay in front of FreeRADIUS? This is culprit here as
it seems that FreeRADIS dhcp module mixes all request from single DHCP relay
to the single queue.

> I used to use a couple of scripts that had their own setup,
> and though I had 200 ms when I was having 30ms in the past,
> until it dawned in me it was the time for the perl environment and script to load and setup the environment to work.

I use fixed number of perl threads not allowing them to die/recreate.
This way I have no extra overhead after initial creation of threads
"to load and setup the environment".

Eugene Grosbein