Cisco 2960 and WLC Accounting Interim-Update

Matthew Ceroni matthewceroni at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 00:41:16 CEST 2014

I don't believe this is controlled by FreeRadius itself but I am kind of at
a loss figuring out where it might be configured.

I have Freeradius acting as an AAA server for a Cisco 2960 L2 switch as
well as a Cisco Wireless LAN Controller.

Working on setting up Accounting which for the most part works. However I
am unable to determine what causes the Interim-Update Acct-Status-Type
message to be sent. Checking the detail log (have that module turned on in
accounting section) I have seen those messages present. In fact earlier in
the day connected clients sent a few Interim-Update messages (one was 1
second apart, than 10 seconds apart, than 30 seconds apart). That happened
early this morning. However ever since that I have not seen any
Interim-Update accounting messages.

I read through the 802.1x configuration guide for the 2960 and it just
talks about the Interim-Update message being sent but doesn't list of a way
to specify the interval (assuming that interval is specified on the switch
side).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks