Originate COA in Freeradius 3.0.x

unbeliever012000 unbeliever012000 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 10:50:16 CEST 2014

I have been using Freeradius for several years now, starting around the
1.0.0 release. Recently I have been playing with Freeradius 3.0.1 and 3.0.2.
The changes which have been made have provided me many ways to clean up my
code thanks to the use of talloc, and the connection pooling.

 While playing with originating COA, deploying the "update coa" sub section
within my site's accounting section, I always get an error logged for every
accounting request;

WARNING: List 'coa' doesn't exist for this packet

This looks like a duplicate of the situation reported Nov 2012;
http://lists.freeradius.org/mailman/private/freeradius-users/2012-November/0
63633.html

I did dig into the code and can see that when passing back the list you
validate that not only does the list exist, but it also has the right type.
Have I missed something which has to be done to set the type but was not
documented in the sites-available/originate-coa ? Checking the code I see
that setting Send-CoA-Request blocks the request no matter what value is
set. This I checked as I see in the originate-coa file its documented that
setting Send-CoA-Request to No is suppose to block requests and thought that
maybe setting it to yes would be the fix to my issue, which obviously I was
wrong about.

The compile has been double checked and can confirm that coa is suppose to
be compiled in. While proxy capabilities have been tested and can be
confirmed, understand from the defines that COA is dependant on Proxy.
consume COA's rather than originate as desired.

Please advise as to if I have made a config error, or have found an issue
which will be resolved in a later release.

Thanks

Geoff