FreeRADIUS auditory and performance

Josip Almasi joe at vrspace.org
Tue Apr 15 11:52:58 CEST 2014

On 04/14/2014 01:32 PM, Antonio Fernández Pérez wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I would like to know how can I do this on my server: Check FreeRADIUS
> performance and authentication capacity.

I wrote a simple stress test tool for that:
http://spizd.sourceforge.net/
Supposedly it's easy to setup auth/acct start/interim/stop packets with
expected rate and response time.

> I have read about radperf but I can't download it from its web page. On
> the other hand, I would like to know how can I monitor FreeRADIUS with
> SNMP ( It's very interesting to know how many users are connected, how
> many requests has received the server ...).

(just some hints, you got technically correct answers already)

You really need all that in real time?
For I've had runtime statistics generated from database/logs, and snmp
traps only, to report daemon fail. (Monit talks both radius and snmp)

Note that radius can lie, big time, for it's udp. You may never get any
session stop packet and noone would notice. Err, billing would probably
notice;)
Then, 'how many users connected', requires freeradius to pair up start
and stop packets, IOW to track sessions. In some use cases it's not even
doable in-memory, i.e. stateles radius proxy. Better ask NAS about sessions.
Then, freeradius can't tell you exactly what you are interested in, for
example (average/max) number of requests per second, last minute, last 5
minutes, it just can't guess what exactly you need.
And all that you get with really basic sql, you only need to query
radacct table.
However, if you have heavy loads on db server, don't query db. Better
customise logs, i.e. you can slice logs every minute, or you can store
them in different directories.
And from customized logs, get statistics with basic shell commands;
ls,grep|wc -l...;)

Regards...