PacketFence + HP Switches + code hacking

Nick Van Duyn nick.vanduyn at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 05:30:40 CEST 2014

Hello All,

So I am investigating a network upgrade + better NAC  and I wanted to get
some thoughts on the deployment. I am currently evaluating it in our lab
and saw that PacketFence was pretty easy to set up. Currently have PF 4.1.0
integrated with a Samba4 AD server (No Windows :) ), so that part is done.

Looking to get some thoughts on HP switches, looking at evaluating them
with PacketFence. Since it doesn't look like they sell the ProCurve
switches anymore I'll probably end up getting one (or multiple) of the
following depending on how the lab evaluation goes:
- HP 2530
- HP 2920
- HP 5120

So even though these are not explicitly listed on the supported list, is
there a general consensus how much hacking is required to get support
added, or is that is even possible? I'll probably end up sending a diff out
so others can take advantage of my work.

I'm planning on using 802.1X PEAP (wired), MAC based auth (either .1x or
snmp traps),  and SNMP so I can throw idiots on my network back into an
isolation VLAN. I'm willing to looking into other vendors if someone how
someone has suggestions; only reason I'm looking at HP is the price point
is nice for the features provided.

Thanks in advance!

--
Thank You,