Imminent release of 2.2.5 and 3.0.3

Michael Hartwick hcc.lists at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 23:23:05 CEST 2014

As the person starting the distribution thread by posting about having
trouble with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and FR 3.0.3 git version I certainly did
not mean to start such a long thread. I encountered a problem and
reported it, if I understood how to change the dependency in the
debian package build stuff I would have happily done that. Since the
thread went in the direction that it did I am in the process of
upgrading to Ubuntu 14.04. Yeah I know it is bleeding edge, but since
I am in the process of commissioning a new radius server I will have
the opportunity to test it before I make it go live so decided why
not.

For the record I had no problem with the idea of building my own
packages and that is exactly what I was trying to do when I
encountered issues. For the limited number of radius servers I have it
is really not a big deal having to do more manually on those machines,
I was hoping to not need to install the build tools on all of the
machines and just install the package. I will let everyone know how I
fair with 14.04.

I understand the desire for stability with LTS distributions which is
part of the reason I started with that, however, I wanted to use a
newer FR version than was available. I guess I wanted to have the best
of both and it seems that I cannot do that.

I am not really sure how staying in the same version number (1.0.1)
with only a letter change is going to be less stable than bringing a
patch for a bug back to an older version without an easily and
reliable way to make sure the bug is fixed. If it was going from
version 1.0.1 to version 3.0.1 yeah, I could see that being a problem.
Now maybe OpenSSL's version numbering is insane in which case going
from f to g might be that big of a change, but that becomes a problem
with OpenSSL's version numbers.

I do appreciate the efforts of those who have poured many hours of
time into getting FR to where it is today.

Michael