accounting_onoff_query with empty acctterminatecause

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Apr 30 16:37:46 CEST 2014

Lorenzo Milesi wrote:
> Hi.
> I was investigating my DB for some session being marked as terminated while still active and I believe I found the culprit in the accounting_onoff_query query.

  I don't see why.  When the NAS sends a packet with Acct-Status-Type =
On or Acct-Status-Type = Off, it means that the NAS has rebooted.  And
therefore ALL user sessions on that NAS are no longer active.

  The RADIUS server is supposed to mark all of those user sessions as
terminated.

  If the NAS continues to keep a user session after it's sent an on/off
packet, then the NAS is broken.

> While this issue is probably related to NAS (Coova) configuration being incompatible with the query itself (NAS-IP-Address is almost always the same), the sessions terminated by this query all have a blank terminate cause.

  If the NAS doesn't send an Acct-Terminate-Cause, then FreeRADIUS can't
log one.  I suppose it could be set to NAS-Reboot... but that doesn't
make much difference.

> Is this expected?

  Is what expected?  You have at least two different questions there.