Avoiding UDP port 1814

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Aug 26 14:40:08 CEST 2014

Brian Candler wrote:
> [Using freeradius 2.1.12+dfsg-1.2ubuntu8 from ubuntu 14.04]

  Upgrade.

  We're trying to put together a set of official packages for vendors
who refuse to upgrade.  But work gets in the way.

> I notice that freeradius listens on UDP port 1814. The problem is that
> this conflicts with another application I'm using:
> http://docs.ganeti.org/ganeti/master/man/ganeti-confd.html

  They're not using an assigned port.  That's rude.

> However I cannot see how to change which port freeradius uses. There is
> no entry for 1814 in /etc/services.
>
> I see the following in freeradius -X output:
>
>     Listening on proxy address * port 1814

  You can use a "listen" section.  "type = proxy" and "port = 0".

> Is there any setting I've missed which would allow the freeradius port
> scan to start at a different place?

  Use a "listen" section.  This is documented.

  At least, it's documented in versions of the server which aren't 4
years old.

  The Debian maintainer seems to have disappeared.  And he's not
responding to email.  We'll see if we can get someone else to replace
him.  Similarly, RedHat is using 2.1.12, and shows no interest in
upgrading.  God only knows why.  Maybe they hate their customers?