Inheritance of eap.conf settings

Jonathan Gazeley Jonathan.Gazeley at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Feb 12 17:07:26 CET 2014

Hi list,

I'm neatening up my sprawling FreeRADIUS config and I've noticed
something strange.

Nothing uses the default eap.conf (and the default virtual server is
disabled) but my understanding is that instantiations of the eap module,
called like:

eap eduroameap {}

... should inherit settings from eap.conf. In my eap.conf I've set:

dh_file = /etc/raddb/certs/dh
random_file = /dev/urandom

And in my numerous EAP modules for various virtual servers, I've removed
dh_file and random_file. Nothing complained about random_file being
missing but apparently the dh_file being missing is an issue:

rlm_eap_tls: Unable to open DH file - (null)
rlm_eap: Failed to initialize type tls
/etc/raddb/modules/rainboweap[17]: Instantiation failed for module
"rainboweap"
/etc/raddb/sites-enabled/rainbow-inner[17]: Failed to find "rainboweap"
in the "modules" section.
/etc/raddb/sites-enabled/rainbow-inner[13]: Errors parsing authenticate
section.

How come random_file was inherited while dh_file wasn't? Or have I
misunderstood how this works, inerheritance doesn't exist, and it's just
that random_file has a default value if undefined while dh_file doesn't?

Thanks,
Jonathan