Acounting problem with SQL and detail files

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Wed Feb 12 17:11:15 CET 2014

On 12 Feb 2014, at 15:22, A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>> I am looking for redundancy, if SQL does not work I can count on detail files. If the SQL problem blocks the whole FreeRADIUS server I think there is a problem of design (might be resolved in later version?).
>
> use buffered-sql instead of plain SQL - then it will store to a file and SQL doesnt
> do anything inline.

Yes, though it's a mite slow, so if you have even moderate numbers
of accounting requests it gets overloaded rather quickly.

It really needs to be fixed, I took a look at it but after reading up on
POSIX locking... Wow that's one truly awfully, completely broken set of
functions.

There is essentially, no way to do byte range locks on a file, and have
the lock states reflected internally within the process.

There's a nice article about it here:
http://apenwarr.ca/log/?m=201012#13

FreeRADIUS Development Team