Subject: Using radsniff to generate stats

Rui Ribeiro ruyrybeyro at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 10:31:41 CET 2014

Hi Arran,

I have read the page you refer, and you say FreeRadius has no idea about
the dropped packets. Would it be possible, or interesting to modify
FreeRadius to give directly stats also like for instance named provides an
interface for retrieving statistics?

How about performance of this particular solution of sniffing traffic?  I
wonder how much load? Granted, RADIUS traffic volume is particularly low,
however, in linux, the packets have to be copied to userland to libpcap to
use them, contrary to for example, FreeBSD. (Note: There is the PF_RING
patch. I havent tested it out)

Note: Dont take the comments personally, it is just in the past I have
always favoured solutions that were an alternative to sniffing traffic.

Regards,
Rui