All devices fail to connect via WIFI to my Radius server.

Cesar SANCHO PRADEL csancho at svalero.com
Fri Jan 3 21:49:47 CET 2014

Hi,

I am new to Radius so sorry in advance if my question has a simple
obvious answer.
I have a FreeRADIUS Server running on a linux box, with mySQL holding
the list of users/passwords.

radtest seems to work fine, but when I try to connect a laptop
(Windows 7) or an iPad (iOS) via WIFI it does not work (they cannot
connect).

If I run freeradiusd -X, I can see all the steps taken during radtest,
however when I try to connect with my laptop or iPad, there is no
output from freeradius -X.

My test network looks as follows:

ISP

MY_ROUTER

MY_WIFI_ROUTER
* Local IP: 192.168.200.1
* Model: LinksysWRT54GS
* Wifi configuration shown below:
   - Security Mode: RADIUS
   - RADIUS Server Address:  198.162.200.100
   - RADIUS Port:   1812
   - Shared Key:   9F6A5757EF
   - Default Transmit  Key:  1
   - WEP Encryption:
   - Passphrase:  admin

MY_LINUX_BOX (connected by cable to MY_WIFI_ROUTER)
* Fedora 12.04
* IP: 192.168.200.100
* RADIUS_SERVER in this BOX: FreeRadius v.2.1.10, for host
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, built on Sep 24 2012 at 17:58:57

I have modified the clients.conf adding:

client router {
        ipaddr = 192.168.200.1
        require_message_authenticator = no
        secret    = 9F6A5757EF
        shortname = router
        nastype   = cisco
}

client linuxBox {
        ipaddr = 192.168.200.100
        require_message_authenticator = no
        secret    = 9F6A5757EF
        shortname = linuxBox
        nastype   = other
}

All seems to work if I run

radtest usr pwd 192.168.200.100 1812 9F6A5757EF

(where usr and pwd are stored in mySQL)

Any other device that tries to connect fails silently (i.e. no debug
info displaied), as if the radius server did not receive any request
at all.

My questions are:
1) Do I need a particular client application in the client machine or
should I be able to connect directly from any device/OS?
2) Are the modifications to clients.conf correct based on my network?
3) The shared key I set in MY_WIFI_ROUTER (i.e. 9F6A5757EF) should
match the "secret" set in the clientś.info, right?

4) Any ideas/help to be able to connect a device (e.g. my iPad or
Laptop) via freeradius server would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Cesar