Radacct table is growing and growing

Matthias Nagel matthias.h.nagel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 17:38:21 CET 2014

Hello,

> So, I should to work in increasing server performance.

Of couse this will help and if you really MUST have a database table that big, it will be the only option. But you should be aware of that this is only a temporary solution, because if you do not delete old entries, your database will hit the newly increased limit again some time in the future.

Hence, if you really must have 12 million records in your database, increasing the server perfomance is the only way as Alan wrote. But I doubt, that you really need 12 million records. For what purpose?

You wrote blandly something about authorization with regard to bandwith. But you did not go into the details. Hence, I can only guess that you want your clients to be kicked off (not authorized anymore) if they reach a certain limit of time, data volume or something like this. Is my guess correct? But I also assume that the decision is only based on the recent entries, i.e. transfer volume in the current month, and not based on a total. So, there is no need to store any entries that are older than those that are needed for your decision.

Please also be aware of the fact that it might be illegal to keep personal information longer than a certain amount of time in your country. Anyway it is a good habbit to delete any personal data that is not needed anymore to strenghen privacy.

Matthias

--
Matthias Nagel
Parkstraße 27