List Maintenance

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jul 2 12:35:31 CEST 2014

On 02/07/14 11:15, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:

> Our of interest, is there an RFC or some kind of standard for out of
> office notifications, so that they don't get sent to mailing lists?

Ideally you'd want OoO/vacation to ignore:

...which Mailman is already sending. But Exchange ignores it.

You could set:

...which is an Exchange-specific header that suppresses a whole bunch of
autoreplies from Exchange that you don't want. But it's a bit gross. We
set it on our Nagios alerts...

> I'd of expected a much higher incidence of this than we currently
> see.

In my (considerable) experience, people who make extensive use of
mailing lists are usually savvy enough to be aware of the risks of
Exchange OoO and similar. So it's rare, as opposed to common.