Disconnect on Accounting Octet Quota

Ali Jawad alijawad1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 02:18:14 CEST 2014

Hi
I did setup a max monthly quota check to limit the amount of B/W used by a
user. The test worked, BUT only after a user disconnects and reconnects.
While a user is connected he can go over limit and keep doing so. I did do
some reading and obviously the reason is that in radacct acctinputoctets
and acctoutputoctets are only set with a stop signal.

Quote :

This attribute indicates how many octets have been received from the port
over the course of this service being provided, and can only be present in
Accounting-Request records where the Acct-Status-Type is set to Stop.

My setup is quite simple ,I do use the below. Now the question is , is
there another approach to overcome this limitation ? Or can I force a
Acct-Status refresh of some sort without disconnecting users ?

sqlcounter daily-BW-counter {

        counter-name = Daily-Session-Octets

        check-name = Max-Daily-Octets

        reply-name = Session-Timeout

        sqlmod-inst = sql

        key = User-Name

        reset = daily

query = "SELECT SUM(AcctInputOctets) + SUM(AcctOutputOctets) FROM radacct
WHERE UserName='%{%k}' AND UNIX_TIMESTAMP(AcctStartTime) + AcctSessionTime