Regression in FreeRADIUS 3.0.3: unixODBC fails

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jul 24 14:00:06 CEST 2014

Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> Version 2.2.4 works as expected. With 3.0.3 (we performed configuration upgrade)
> the same custom Perl code starts just fine but then DBI/DBD::ODBC/unixODBC fails to load
> freetds library with error message:
>
> [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Can't open lib '/usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so' : Invalid shared object handle 0x80851f7c0 (SQL-01000)

  It should generally work.  However... connecting to SQL from the Perl
module is usually a bad idea.  The SQL module already does that.  Why
not use it?

> Kernel-level syscalls trace of radiusd process shows that,
> in fact, no attempt to access /usr/local/lib/libtdsodbc.so is made.
>
> If I move back to version 2.2.4 not changing perl, DBI, DBD::ODBC, unixODBC
> or custom perl code, the problem disappears.
>
> What direction should I take while debugging the problem?

  Try the v3.0.x branch for one.  It has a number of fixes over 3.0.3.

  But you're really asking us to debug *Perl* internals.  FreeRADIUS
isn't failing to load the library.  FreeRADIUS loads Perl, and *Perl*
fails to load the library.  I have no idea how to debug that.