Some inconsistencies concerning OpenSSL include configuration in FRS 3

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Sat Jul 26 20:56:07 CEST 2014

On 26 Jul 2014, at 14:13, Dr. Andreas Rieke <rieke at isl.de> wrote:

> On 26 Jul 2014, at 17:31, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:
>
>>> However, there is another problem which causes the make process to fail; the problem occurs with rlm_always first:
>> You'd set it in Make.inc.
>>
>> With v3.0.x head
>>
>> Works for me with v3.0.x...
>>
>> ./configure --with-openssl-lib-dir=/usr/local/opt/openssl/lib --with-openssl-include-dir=/usr/local/opt/openssl/include
>> checking OpenSSL library and header version consistency... library: 1000108f header: 1000108f... yes
>>
>> LINK build/lib/libfreeradius-radius.la
>> CC /Users/arr2036/Documents/Repositories/freeradius-server-master/src/tests/rbmonkey.c
>> LINK build/bin/rbmonkey
>> CC /Users/arr2036/Documents/Repositories/freeradius-server-master/src/modules/rlm_always/rlm_always.c
>> LINK build/lib/rlm_always.la
>
> Hi again,
>
> first thanks a lot for your answer. Things work exactly as you said - in 3.0.2, but not in 3.0.3.
>
> The Make.inc file already contains the correct parameters - even without the parameter CPPFLAGS="-I /opt/openssl/include" for the configuration script:
>> CPPFLAGS        =     -isystem /opt/openssl/include
> If you pass CPPFLAGS="-I /opt/openssl/include" to the configure script, you get the path twice:
>> CPPFLAGS        =     -isystem /opt/openssl/include   -I /opt/openssl/include
>
> However, in both cases make fails compiling the module rlm_always because the
> system can not find openssl/err.h and other openssl header files. Is it
> possible that there are system openssl header files on your machine, maybe in
> /usr/local/include or in /opt/include, which the preprocessor uses? I am sure that such files do not exist on my machine. Could this be the rason why make runs well on your system, but not on my machine?

No. The runtime version compatibility checks use the OpenSSL version from a macro
in the OpenSSL include files.

If it were using the system OpenSSL header files, and non system libraries the server
would error out on startup (which it doesn't).

Could you try with the v3.0.x branch and see if it's been fixed. I remember Alan
complaining about it not working correctly, but I can't remember if his issues
were fixed before 3.0.3 was released or after.

FreeRADIUS development team