Some inconsistencies concerning OpenSSL include configuration in FRS 3

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Mon Jul 28 20:17:23 CEST 2014

On 28 Jul 2014, at 13:58, Dr. Andreas Rieke <rieke at isl.de> wrote:

> Alan DeKok wrote:
>> Dr. Andreas Rieke wrote:
>>> I am quite sure that FRS compiles without problems on many other systems, but in those cases, the compiler takes the OpenSSL header files from the system and not from the specified directories - on my machine, I have removed the openssl-devel RPM package (CentOS), and thus, I get that failure. However, maybe the failure is better than a wrong header file...
>>>
>>> When I pass 'CPPFLAGS="-I /opt/openssl/include"' to the main configure script, the problems are solved for the headers - as an example, ec.h is found immediately. However, FRS still uses the system libraries :-(
>>
>>  The issue is that the CPPFLAGS are *supposed* to be passed from the
>> main configure script to the lower-level ones.
> They do - today I have also tested that for the LDFLAGS, and this works, too. If you pass the OpenSSL directories twice to the main configure script, everything works great:
>>    ./configure --prefix=/opt/freeradius-server \
>>                --with-openssl-include-dir=/opt/openssl/include \
>>                --with-openssl-lib-dir=/opt/openssl/lib \
>>                CPPFLAGS="-I /opt/openssl/include" \
>>                LDFLAGS="-L/opt/openssl/lib"
> I checked the config.log files and the shared objects with ldd - all headers are found and the correct library files are used. For that reason, everything is great for me - thank you very much for your help,

rlm_wimax doesn't need a configure script either.

OTP configure arguments should be altered to match --with-openssl-include-dir and --with-openssl-lib-dir as it
need to check for additional newish libssl functions.

rlm_unbound doesn't need to check for libssl headers either it's not using anything special.

all.mk files should inherit top level CPPFLAGS.

modules which need to link against libssl should add OPENSSL_LIBS to their LDFLAGS.

I'll make the changes...

FreeRADIUS development team