How to chroot FreeRadius

Sven_Menschner at drewag.de Sven_Menschner at drewag.de
Thu Jul 31 13:47:06 CEST 2014

I have set up FreeRADIUS 2.1.12 on Debian for authentication in a
WPA2-Enterprise environment. Now I'd like to jail it with chroot. There is
a parameter in radiusd.conf configuration file pointing to the chroot
location:

#chroot = /opt/jail/freeradius

But with the documentation inside of radiusd.conf I can't figure out what
files and dirs needs to be inside the chroot directory.

I have figured out that I need /var/run/freeradius, /var/log/freeradius
and the /etc/freeradius directory containing the configuration files and
modules. Do I really need to put the latter into the jail or can they stay
outside and be read on freeradius startup before the chroot is performed?
If not, do I need all files or only those being actually used in my
deployment? As pointed out before, I am only using authentication
features.

Many thanks in advance.
Sven Menschner

DREWAG - Stadtwerke Dresden GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Dresden
Geschäftsführer: Reiner Zieschank (Sprecher), Dr. Reinhard Richter
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Helma Orosz, Oberbürgermeisterin
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Dresden HRB 2626