Issues with building Freeradius on CentOS 6.5: need rlm_cache

Brandon Jozsa bjozsa at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 10:32:09 CEST 2014

Hello,

I've been trying to work through the issues and by searching high and low
for solutions before turning to this users list. I'm sorry if this is a
stupid question (I've seen worse though, so maybe I shouldn't feel bad).

I have a very high need to use the rlm_cache module with Freeradius on
CentOS 6.5. I'm trying to first us the statement:

----- snipped -----

authorize {
        if (!notfound) {
                update control {
                Proxy-To-Realm := "SOME_REALM"
----- snipped -----

which works GREAT alone...but I also want to use the cache function like so:

----- snipped -----
        update control {
                Cache-Status-Only = 'yes'
        }
        cache
        if (notfound) {
                sql
        }
        update control {
                Cache-Status-Only := 'no'
        }
        cache

----- snipped -----

which doesn't work (obviously) because rlm_cache isn't included with
2.1.12, or so it seems anyway.

My hope is (it is a hope anyway) that I can collect authN/authZ replies
from an upstream radius server and cache them locally; thus building a
mysql database of users access/privileges and let this run on an
environment before cutting completely over to our new Freeradius setup.
Again, I'm hoping it can work like this...getting rid of RSA and using
LinOTP or MOTP would be so nice; it would be more flexible and user
friendly, but I really need to collect authN and authZ in order to rebuild
our massive user-base.

My issue...CentOS, which is our "approved platform" (I'm rolling my eyes
and giving air quotes), doesn't have a newer version of Freeradius other
than 2.1.12. I think the rlm_cache modules are only included in 3.0.0 and
higher, is that right?

So, I started looking on how to build from source...and I found one; great
news I thought!! Enter:
http://confluence.diamond.ac.uk/display/PAAUTH/FreeRADIUS+specs+and+sources+for+CentOS+6.
I thought this would save the day, but there are broken links for 3.0.0 and
I am running into major issues; it just doesn't seem to work at all. I also
tried to build it out, take the rlm_cache.so lib over to my 2.1.12
installation, but Freeradius barfed all over that little trick.

What are my options here? I could really use some help. Any ideas?