Old school: FreeRADIUS and NIS

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Mar 7 17:16:23 CET 2014

On 07/03/14 16:02, Mark Haney wrote:

> I know it's throwback to the '90s, but my boss wants it done, so I
> need to do it.  I /cannot/ find any documentation on setting up
> FreeRADIUS with NIS authentication.  Does someone have some lying

Authentication of what? VPN, wireless 802.1x, etc?

NIS basically gives you a Unix passwd entry, which is a crypt; thus,
it's only compatible with PAP, or protocols that encapsulate PAP such as
EAP-TTLS/PAP. See:

http://deployingradius.com/documents/protocols/compatibility.html

In principle, rlm_unix should work with NIS; it will set the
Crypt-Password control item, which will be looked at by rlm_pap. It
should be as simple as:

authorize {
   unix
   pap
authenticate {
   Auth-Type PAP {
     pap

Try this, post a debug of it not working if so.