Issue with DHCP with Wireless card

Hugh McLenaghan hughmcl at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 14 16:37:36 CET 2014

If you do a packet trace you will see that it does send to the destination MAC address.  Remember MAC addresses are layer 2, and IP addresses are layer 3.  IP addresses just get the packet to the desired network.  Once on the desired network, the packets are actually sent to the destination MAC (after arp to decode destination IP to destination MAC).

So once the DHCP server assigns the IP address it sends it from itself using the IP address of the interface, and sends it to the device that requested the DHCP address using a unicast to the MAC address also supplying it's IP address.  But before it sends it, the DHCP server adds the MAC -> IP address to the ARP table.

Hope that helps :)

         Hugh