AIX client to MS RADIUS server

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Wed Mar 26 16:47:11 CET 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:25 PM, Lloyd Gill <lhg at jhmi.edu> wrote:
> I would be surprised we are the only unix/linux shop that is
> deploying multi-factor authentication using radius on AIX.

I wouldn't be surprised at all.

We had some AIX boxes many years ago, and finally decided it was not
worthed. Not for running the software we needed. So when the time came
to replace the hardware, x86 + linux (and in some cases, vmware/xen)
took their place.

While AIX/ppc is somewhat more linux-like (compared to, say, tru64),
some OSS programs would perform more poorly compared to their
x86/linux counterpart (with similar spec/price range) due to lack of
optimizations (e.g. BIND when running multiple thread, at least at
that time), and others simply won't compile  (like you just found out
with pam_radius_auth).

WRT multi-factor auth, there are vendors who sell hardware-token based
solution, which should be more suitable for enterprises who still use
AIX. So unless you can fix the code and send a patch (or hire someone
to do so), these kind of vendors are probably your best bet.

--
Fajar