CPU intensize authorization module issue

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Mar 27 16:30:43 CET 2014

Yannick Koehler wrote:
>     >   I have an authorization module to write for FreeRADIUS that does a
>     > fair amount of CPU intensive SQL queries 1-2 seconds time.

  That is a problem.  You need to fix that.

  There is no good reason for the SQL queries to take 1-2 seconds.  Any
CPU intensive work should be moved out of the critical path.  The SQL
server should respond to FreeRADIUS within 10ms ideally, or 100ms at the
most.

  You should re-design your use of SQL.  Since you didn't say *why* the
queries are taking 1-2 seconds, I can't offer any more specific advice.

  FYI, when I look at poorly performing RADIUS systems, it's almost
always due to the SQL database.  I spend probably 5% of my time fixing
FreeRADIUS configuration, and 95% of my time fixing bad SQL configuration.