Why documentation is the way it is

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Mar 28 15:48:31 CET 2014

Hi,

>   Are there basic howtos on SQL, LDAP, etc.?  No.  Why?  No one has
> submitted them.  In 15 years of people complaining about the "bad
> documentation", not one single complainer has ever said:
>
>   "You know, I don't want anyone else to go through the same pain I did.
>  So to help people like me, I'm going to write a quick howto, and put it
> on the Wiki".

oh...whilst pretty much on the mark I'd say I disagree. you seem to have forgotten
those that

1) write up their own web pages with instructions and then dont update them when new stuff comes out (as
its no longer things they do) - which then cause problems for future people who use google to find
documentation (just look at the history of this list and people quoting random 3rd party web sites.

sure, the people are meaning well - but the documentation really should be centralised and
kept up to date

2) post after a long thread with 'I've now got it working' - but actually dont post
any further details or feedback

alan