ipaddr, ipv4addr ipv6addr

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Sat May 31 14:14:19 CEST 2014

There's a few updates to original RFC regarding choice of transport layer for connections.  It used to be pretty much prefer IPv6 but in some systems that doesn't make sense. ... routing or address availability...which is why other things such as happy eyeballs came along

RFC 6724 makes more sense in this regard

Say,  for example,  my server only has IPv6 connectivity to the Internet and a local 192.168.x.x address (with no NAT) . A lookup of a remote server xyz.com gives me back an A and AAAA record.  Will you be trying to use that v4 result and leave the server non contactable?  I'd hope not

(and quite a few people are now having such servers as IPv6 only....)

alan