Plans for the next few releases

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Nov 9 14:47:38 CET 2014

  We're continuing to develop the server, so I'd like to clarify the
policy around releases.

Version 2.2.x:  Long term stable release.

  No new features.
  Minor bug fixes.
  The goal is long-term stability.
  We will maintain it 2-3 years.

Version 3.0.x: Version 3 stable release

  Minor new features
  Focus on bug fixes and stability
  Will maintain it for 4-5 years

Version 3.1: unstable new development

  Major new features
  Major re-architecture of the server core

  Which version should you use?  That depends on what you have now, and
what you need:

* basic RADIUS and running 1.x: UPGRADE NOW

* basic RADIUS and running version 2: should use 2.2.x

* need better "unlang", error checking, SNMP triggers, RadSec: 3.0.x

* experimental new work: bleeding edge 3.1.

  Arran and I have started announcing new features to this list, as the
features are implemented.  We'll keep doing that for the 3.1 branch.
And probably stop doing new features in 3.0.

  We've had issues with 3.0 stability (sorry).  A good part of that was
problems with talloc.  The documentation says one thing, but the code
does something else.  So that made life difficult for a while.

  The work of the last few months has made 3.0.4 very stable.  The bug
fixes for 3.0.5 are minor, and ensure that all of the "corner cases" are
handled correctly.

  Now that we have a stable version of 3.0, we can start re-working the
"master" branch for 3.1.  We have a long list of new features, many of
which require re-architecture.  We don't want to break 3.0, so those
features require a new version.