Fwd: Child is hung (max_request)

srithar jeevadurai srijeevadurai1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 12:13:23 CET 2014

Hi Alan,

Thanks a lot for your immediate help on Radius server issue.

Basically we are trying a Radius to Diameter and Diameter to Radius
converter.

Radius server take radius request and only for accouting request (not for
access), it will send it to another module via TCP/IP (local server) and
the module to convert it to diameter request to send it to IN server.
The same module will response to Radius server for any response comes from
IN.

So Radius server can support only 100 TPS at max.

Root cause for "Child is hung" is we have fatter pipe and most requests
getting time out without picked by Radius worker thread. Instead of doing
that, we can set the value to low (3000 = TPS * max_request_time [= 30
seconds]).

Is my understanding correct? (as I explained in my first email).

Because when radius server faces "child is hung", we need to restart to
bring it normal.

Please let me know whether it is a good idea to set the max_request to 3000
so that radius server will not face "child is hung" and no need to restart
the server to resolve the same.

--
Regards,
Srithar Durairaj