Acct-Delay-Time attribute in buffered-sql server mode

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sun Oct 5 18:31:19 CEST 2014

Rygl Aleš wrote:
> I thought %S corrected by Acct-Delay-Time of course.

  No.  It's not.

> Excuse me, but do not understand. From my point of view I do not see a
> reason for manipulating Acct-Delay-Time this way and replacing the
> original value from the request with a new one based on time needed for
> request processing.

  Arran and I both explained it.  If you still don't understand, there's
really nothing more I can say.

> If you keep original value, later on, when you query DB, it would be
> clear when the session started (Event-Timestamp) and how much was the
> session start packet delayed (Acct-Delay-Time).

  The session start packet was delayed by the NAS, *and* by FreeRADIUS.

  If you want to store Acct-Delay-Time as received from the NAS, that's
*completely different*.  You will need to copy it to another attribute,
say "Original-Acct-Delay-Time".

  The attribute Acct-Delay-Time has a pre-defined meaning.  The server
updates the Acct-Delay-Time because it's *required* in order to keep the
same meaning.

  When you make Acct-Delay-Time mean something else... you're wrong.

> Well, we would need to store it from diagnostic reasons. It indicates
> possible performance problems on the NAS.

  No.  Acct-Delay-Time has a pre-existing meaning.  Don't change it.

> Is there a way how to save the original Acct-Delay-Time to DB in
> buffered-sql mode?

  Yes, copy it to another attribute before writing it to the detail file.