Windows 8.1 Wi-Fi client handshake failure

Martin Rowe martin.p.rowe at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 17:13:26 CEST 2014

> yes client issue.  I expect, actually its a driver issue...and if you do something horrible
> like enable FIPS mode on the client (so all the encryption is done in software via CPU rather
> than by NIC in hardware via driver) it'll work  :(

Unfortunately FIPS did not help, neither did the registry hack in [3]
above. There is a bug somewhere in the Windows/Intel driver mix, but
I'm not going to waste any more of my time trying to solve their
standards (in)compliance.

> When I create certificates, I use "conservative" values.  RSA, 2048
> bit keys, SHA, etc.  That works everywhere.
> The more "odd" things you use, the less likely it is to work.

I tend to try the strongest values I can get to work, and in this case
a server key using secp384r1 will still work while I need to support
Windows clients. But then again maybe that's why I keep having odd
things go wrong that Google can't help solve ;)

Thanks everyone for your help

Marty