FreeRadius Server Sizing recommendations

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Sep 2 17:07:05 CEST 2014

Dennis Xu wrote:
> Does FreeRadius has a server sizing guide to help people to choose the right hardware?

  No.  You'd have to supply the full details of what you're doing.

> I want to deploy two Linux servers(on VMware) in active/standby mode to serve maximum 5k PEAP authentication users.

  If the users aren't authenticating, the load on the system is zero.

  So the question is, how many authentications per second do you expect?

> What would be the recommended server specs(such as CPU,RAM,Storage,IOPs) for this deployment?

  Read raddb/certs/README.  There are instructions for testing systems
to see how fast they are for EAP methods with SSL.

  But to be honest... an iPhone 3GS would handle the traffic just fine.
 And be 99% idle.

  i.e. it doesn't really matter what you provision.  Modern systems are
enormously fast.