LDAP server

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Mon Apr 13 17:49:34 CEST 2015

> On 13 Apr 2015, at 11:36, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:
>
> On Apr 13, 2015, at 11:26 AM, Adam Bishop <Adam.Bishop at jisc.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I can probably fix this with systemD somehow, but is it possible to configure FreeRADIUS to start even if its LDAP server is unavailable?
>
>  In v3, edit the ldap module config, and look at the "pool" subsection, and set "start = 0".

Unfortunately 3.0.4 lacks the code to spawn multiple connections simultaneously.

In 3.0.5 multiple new connections can be started concurrently. The number of concurrent connections is pool.max - available connections.

Before 3.0.5 pool.start needed to be set sufficiently high, so that when the server started processing requests, no request was starved of connections. If the request couldn't get a connection, the module would return fail.

For example if pool.max = 8, pool.start = 4 and there were 8 queued requests, and 8 workers, 3 of those requests would likely fail or be rejected.

From 3.0.5 onwards the role of pool.start changed. It is now primarily useful for ensuring a certain number of connections to a resource are available, before allowing the server to start.

From 3.0.5 it's fine to set pool.start = 0, before 3.0.5 you'll likely end up rejecting requests, or not responding to Accounting-Requests.

-Arran

FreeRADIUS development team