What can be defined in sites-enable/a_site

James Sumners james.sumners at clayton.edu
Tue Apr 14 19:01:50 CEST 2015

On 2015-04-14 16:06:40 +0000, Alan DeKok said:

> On Apr 14, 2015, at 10:02 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at clayton.edu> wrote:
>> Okay, that's the way I thought it would work. I just didn't know that
>> you can't have multiple `modules` blocks. If there's some documentation
>> that details that, I haven't seen it.
>
>   See radiusd.conf.  It says that modules are loaded from the "modules"
> block.  It *doesn't* say that you cannot put modules elsewhere.
>
>   The examples show what's possible.  Because that's simple and
> limited.  They *don't* list all of the configurations that won't work.
> Because those are infinite.
>
>   Alan DeKok.

It's pretty simple to indicate how many times a block can be used in
the configuration: once or multiple. Asking users to infer this from
the 200 or so configuration files that double as the documentation is,
frankly, ridiculous.

I'll break down what led to the orginal post in this thread:

1) I read the thread where someone was having an issue with rlm_memcached
2) I tried to investigate this module as I could be interested in using it
3) I go to the web site to read the documenation
4) I browse through the few man pages on the site that don't 404
5) I see that the few documented modules indicate that their
configuration can be included in a `modules` block
6) I realize that my site file also contains global definitions for clients
7) I attempt to move one of my `mods-enabled` configs to the global
space of my site file
8) Failure
9) Spend 45 minutes trying to find documentation to figure out the problem
10) Give up and post to this list