how to setup MAC based authentication with LDAP

Thomas Stather Thomas.Stather at mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de
Wed Apr 15 14:12:24 CEST 2015

Hello list

I am new to RADIUS and i'd like to know how to setup a mac-based
authentication for my clients.

Here is what i have so far:

-freeradius 3.0.3
-/etc/raddb/clients.conf (setupped with the IPs of the NAS devices)

Now i'm unsure how to configure the mods-enabled/ldap configuration.

All the hosts are located in an OU named "hosts", the mac-address of
each host has the attribute name "macAddress" within the host object
(i.e cn=testdevice).

My virtual server in sites-enabled/macauth looks like this:

server macauth {

   authorize {
     preprocess

     # clean the Calling-Station-ID
     rewrite_calling_station_id

     # now authenticate against LDAP
     ldap
     if (!ok) {
       reject
     }
     else {
       # accept
       update control {
       Auth-Type := Accept

     authenticate {
       Auth-Type LDAP {
         ldap

   # Pre-accounting.  Decide which accounting type to use.
   preacct {
     preprocess

     #  Ensure that we have a semi-unique identifier for every
     #  request, and many NAS boxes are broken.
     acct_unique
     }

   #  Accounting.  Log the accounting data.
   accounting {

     #  Create a 'detail'ed log of the packets.
     #  Note that accounting requests which are proxied
     #  are also logged in the detail file.
     detail

     #  For Simultaneous-Use tracking.
     #
     #  Due to packet losses in the network, the data here
     #  may be incorrect.  There is little we can do about it.
     radutmp

     # filter attributes from the accounting response
     attr_filter.accounting_response
     }

   #  Session database, used for checking Simultaneous-Use. Either the
radutmp
   #  or rlm_sql module can handle this.
   #  The rlm_sql module is *much* faster
   session {