Freeradius 3.0.7 and multiple buffered-sql servers - detail file issues

Aleš Rygl ales at rygl.net
Fri Apr 24 13:10:31 CEST 2015

Hello all,

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 09:29:37 +0200, Aleš Rygl wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It's too early to say... I am just trying both. It
also
> depends on the particular setup, database HW, queries to DB and
many
> other aspects. What I can see so far is that the writing to
detail file
> tends to be more resilient to peaks in accounting traffic.

> I will
> come back with some results

I am back with some
observations. I am runnig the latest 3.0.8. The server is doing just
Accounting. It is receiving more or less steady load at up to 1.600
req/s. It is connected to Maria DB 10.0.17. Radacct table is InnoDB
type, properly indexed, MariaDB has 10GB buffer_pool. OS is Debian
Wheezy, HW 24GB, 2x E5345 @ 2.33GHz (8 cores in total). During the query
the records are either simply inserted/updated of there is a procedure
call which process the Interims a bit more complexly but everything on
indexed columns.

The setup:

listen {
 ipaddr = *
 port = 1813
 type
= acct
 limit {
preacct {
 preprocess

acct_unique_mobile
}
accounting {
 redundant {

sql_instance_mobile_direct
 group {
 linelog
 detail.mobile
 if
(noop) {
 ok

With current setup I can get up to ~ 1.000 req/s
without any retransmissions on the NAS side. When going higher I can see
a periodical stuttering with interval of 10 minutes, where the NAS sends
couple of retransissions. I am currently investigating what can be the
cause as the average DB row lock time is about 60ms. I can also see that
Radius does a failover to the detailfile about once per 1-2 hours.

Ales