Freeradius 3.0.8 Can't create UNIX socket and Too many open files

Rygl Aleš ales at rygl.net
Tue Apr 28 20:27:23 CEST 2015

Hi Rui,

> * soft nofile 10240
>
> * soft nproc 10240
>
> But then, you only do that in high-load web servers or in email servers. I
> do not understand why you would need to do that in a FreeRadius server.

I had to raise them because freeradius daemon was complaining to the log about
problems with opening some files. Either the mysql socket or the detail log
file. The server is pretty loaded (up to1.600 req/s in peaks). I have about
600 connection to the DB. It looks that problem appeares when the rate goes
over 1.100 req/s. Of course the bottleneck is the DB. On the other hand there
is not too much to do on the DB side. Having ~1 million of sessions in a
InnoDB table with the rates mentioned above is not easy. Nevertheless I am
trying to tune the best config for this purpose...

Ales