PAM_Radius EAP-TTLS

Qrious Qrious at semtexgaming.com
Fri Aug 21 14:01:36 CEST 2015

Hi,

First i'll reply to your comments:

> Use RADIUS the way it was designed.  The people who've spent 20 years working with it are competent.

I never said that were not competent. I was only refering to the fact
that time changes perspective on security standards, as hardware and
theoretical knowledge advance.
Mainly because of this, I want to select strong modern cryptography
now, to ensure it's security for the first decade.

>   Honestly, do you think in 2015 that we'd be recommending the use of protocols which were broken and insecure?  Even Microsoft doesn't do that any more.

I hoped not (as my research showed), but fact is that cryptography is
a complex field. Still there are a lot of services that (only) use
insecure encryption, but that is an entirely other topic.

I looked some further into the protocol. Because other people might
stumble onto this thread, i'll give links to some useful resources.

A good resource (although 13 years old) is:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742489.aspx (Why do you
always find the useful resources after you really needed them?)

Based on some slides of a guest lecture of an Eduroam engineer (which
I can not share):

User-Password = password XOR MD5(RequestAuth + Secret)
 (for passwords of length up to 16 - chaining procedure for longer passwords)