Feature requests and current limitations in

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Dec 21 11:53:25 CET 2015

On 19/12/15 10:45, Herwin Weststrate wrote:

> My plan is to make a unified interface for these three modules, so they
> all have the same features and behave in the same way. At the moment,
> the biggest limitations that should be removed are the following:

These all sound like excellent ideas; well done for taking it on.

> I don't know if anyone here uses one of these modules, or tried using
> one but stopped due to its limitations, but I'm really curious what kind
> of features people would want to see in these modules, or what
> limitations they'd experienced with using them.

It might be interesting for the modules to be able to call back into
some of the more relevant server core functions.

An example might be registering dict attribute, attribute comparison
functions and xlats, which then call back into the scripting language, e.g.:

# rlm_python example
def instantiate(config):
     attr = config.server.dict_register('Dyn-Attr', 'integer')
     attr.compare_func = my_compare

     config.server.xlat_register('dynaxlat', myxlatfunc)

...but I suspect that would be a *lot* of work.

I'm kind of interested in an rlm_javascript and rlm_lua which might be
more accessible to people.