Simultaneous EAP-TLS and PEAP-MSCHAPv2 (machine/user authentication)

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Dec 26 18:54:23 CET 2015

On Dec 26, 2015, at 12:45 PM, Lukas Haase <lukashaase at gmx.at> wrote:
> This is not what I want anyway. Once again the intended setup:
>
> 1.) Client presents a certificate signed by the CA -> authentication
> should succeed ("machine authentication").

  No.  That is not "machine authentication".

  Machine authentication is where a Windows system uses credentials provisioned by Active Directory to do 802.1X.  When that happens, the user does *not* provide any credentials.

> (I thought this would best be
> done via EAP-TLS but not sure)

 The TLS-based EAP methods are  EAP-TLS, PEAP, and TTLS.

> 2.) If the client does NOT have a client certificate signed by the CA
> installed it should query for username/password ("user authentication")
> exactly as in my current setup. Authentication should succeed via
> PEAP-MSCHAPv2 if correct credentials are presented.

  That's PEAP.  Mostly.

 You can configure an end system to do 802.1X.  It has a preferred EAP method, which it uses for authentication.  i.e. it uses *one* EAP method.

  What you're talking about amounts to this:

1) some systems have client certificates.  These systems are configured to do EAP-TLS.

2) some systems don't have client certificates.  These systems are configured to do PEAP-MSCHAPv2.

  That's it.