FreeRADIUS allows connections locally, but not remotely

Ernie Dunbar maillist at lightspeed.ca
Tue Dec 29 00:22:33 CET 2015

On 2015-12-28 14:49, Alan DeKok wrote:
> On Dec 28, 2015, at 5:29 PM, Ernie Dunbar <maillist at lightspeed.ca>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone. I have a difficult problem that appears to have come out
>> of the blue.
>>
>> After rebooting the Debian Wheezy server that hosts our RADIUS
>> authentication this morning, suddenly FreeRADIUS v2.1.12+dfsg-1.2 is
>> no longer working
> ..
>> When I test it from the same machine, but *saying* I'm connecting
>> remotely, it apparently times out:
>
>   It's a firewall / networking issue.  It's not FreeRADIUS.
>
>   Alan DeKok.

Okay, then why would radtest fail with the command-line argument "-4
XXX.XXX.XXX.254" from localhost? Is this not merely data passed to the
FreeRADIUS server about the source of the data, as opposed to radtest
spoofing the source IP address and making a UDP connection? I am
requesting a connection to localhost with radtest.

Also, there is no firewall rule blocking the connection. I also tried
the radtest command locally after flushing the IPTables rules.

I have tried to specify FreeRADIUS' listening IP address instead of *
(in radiusd.conf), and that hasn't worked either.

I think I've been pretty thorough trying to rule out networking issues,
but maybe I've missed something?