Problem - Duplicating IPs

Winfield, Alister Alister.Winfield at bskyb.com
Tue Feb 17 13:56:06 CET 2015

Or find an SNMP MIB in the NAS for the active sessions and check the IP
isn¹t in use before handing it out.

Central IP management is always tricky.. Problem is that the point of
absolute truth (the NAS) isn¹t the point of management (some database
behind RADIUS/DHCP). Avoiding duplicate allocations is hard, even in a
single instance case. Make it multi-server and multi-site and a whole
world of ways to get it wrong are there to trip you up.

Unless you REALLY have to, get the device managing the session (NAS) to
manage the IP allocation, then use Accounting (Start+Interim(s)+Stop) to
track whats in use as required. Yes there are timing delays and small
risks of not having the whole truth due to packet loss. However, the fact
is its much less likely to break the users trying to get connected.

--
Alister

On 16/02/2015 13:44, "Alan DeKok" <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:

>On Feb 16, 2015, at 7:37 AM, Marcelo Santoro <santoro.ice at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>> I am facing a problem here in my ISP.
>>
>> I have radippool configured in my freeradius 3.0.6 server and some
>>times my customers are receiving Duplicated IP address,
>
>  Fix your NAS so that it sends the correct accounting packets.
>
>  FreeRADIUS *assumes* that the accounting information in SQL is correct.
> If the NAS doesn¹t behave properly, the data in SQL will be wrong.  And
>the server will assign duplicate IPs.
>
>  Until you get a real NAS (or fix your current one), the best solution
>would be to write a script to read IPs from SQL, and then scan those in
>the network.  If there¹s a response, update SQL to mark the IPs as still
>in use.
>
>  Alan DeKok.
>

>-
>List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See
>http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Information in this email including any attachments may be privileged, confidential and is intended exclusively for the addressee. The views expressed may not be official policy, but the personal views of the originator. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete it from your system. You should not reproduce, distribute, store, retransmit, use or disclose its contents to anyone. Please note we reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communication through our internal and external networks. SKY and the SKY marks are trademarks of Sky plc and Sky International AG and are used under licence. Sky UK Limited (Registration No. 2906991), Sky-In-Home Service Limited (Registration No. 2067075) and Sky Subscribers Services Limited (Registration No. 2340150) are direct or indirect subsidiaries of Sky plc (Registration No. 2247735). All of the companies mentioned in this paragraph are incorporated in England and Wales and share the same registered office at Grant Way, Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 5QD.